Last time I was in the Roadhouse, I'm pretty sure I left early because of the dense cloud of cigarette smoke that made by eyes water and obscured whatever I was trying to see onstage. I don't think there was even a mention of a smoking ban, so I guess it was a while ago.
Tonight it was Al Baker and the Dole Queue who lured me back. I've seen this talented young singer-songwriter in various settings – with a couple of members of his band supporting David Rovics and the mighty Attila the Stockbroker at the late lamented Basement, and solo, accompanied only by his guitar, at my own wedding. The band has one album, 'On the Use of Jackboots,' available through Four Dogs Music. They combine a punky-folky sound (think the Levellers, but less cheesy/twiddly, or the Pogues, but with better teeth) with clever, funny, observational lyrics that range from the fierily political to bittersweet observations of the pains of young love (when the wrong haircut's involved).
This gig was billed as one of the first outings for the new version of the Dole Queue's 'troubacore' sound, bringing together some of the folky instruments (which have attracted accusations of sounding like a ceilidh band in the past) with rockier electric guitars and bass.
Sometimes it worked. On the pacier, punkier numbers like Grandad was an Anarchist and This Machine the greater volume and gutsier sound really lifted the songs, and combined with Baker's grinning yet sarcastic enthusiasm made for an infectiously fun live set. A cover of REM's It's the End of the World As We Know It (and I Feel Fine) also took well to this treatment. These are all talented performers, and their tight sound deserved something much better than a three-quarters-empty Roadhouse on the Thursday night.
But the stronger sound doesn't suit all of Baker's tracks, and the clever, funny, poignant lyrics of, for instance, Till the Fences Fall, got kind of lost in the louder music. Which, given that one of the big attractions of Baker's music is his wry, intelligent songwriting, is definitely a pity. Hopefully with more outings the new sound will get a little finessing and some of those lovely lyrics will re-emerge.
That said, this was still a cracking set, and I look forward to Al Baker and the Dole Queue's upcoming sets, listed on the band's Myspace page. These include a TBC support slot with the fantastic Robb Johnson.
Thursday, March 05, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment