Thursday, July 30, 2009

Domestic green-ness

OK, this is probably all terribly middle-class and boring, but in the last few days I've had an interesting (to me, anyway) insight into barriers to taking steps towards more sustainable homes.
There is currently a disturbing amount of water coming through the (probably shoddily built, ageing) flat roof of our bathroom. The bitumen roofing is on its last legs, probably not helped by being pecked at by the evil bloody magpies which make me want to own an air rifle. And to be honest, the dripping has been getting steadily worse for quite some time, which just goes to show that Denial is not a good home management technique.
But anyway, having gritted my teeth and got some quotes, OA and I decided that we'd have to fork out to have the roof repaired, obviously. But finding that it was going to cost a lot less than we thought, we figured we'd also be good little green pioneers in the non-recycling zone that is Moss Side (though I bet our street's collective carbon footprint is about the same as one three-flying-holidays-a-year-recycling-every-week-Chorltonite), and have a green roof installed at the same time as the repairs.
It all looked like a fairly easy option - it would all be done in one go, the price would be about doubled but still come in at less than I feared the repairs alone would, and I did some copywriting for Natural Economy Northwest last year on the benefits of green roofs in terms of rainwater runoff, insulation and especially biodiversity, so it was something I was really keen on.
Then I happened to do a little extra websurfing, just to check some details, and realised that although having it put in place will mean very little for the overall height of our extension and will have lots of benefits, I would have to:
a) fork out a good 10-15% extra on the price of the ENTIRE project (not just the green roof bit) in building notice or building regulations applications, and
b) apply for planning permission - and when I saw that horror I didn't even get as far as checking out what the fee structure might be.
So, there you go, Manchester City Council and your Green Action Plan process - a nice concrete action you can take to encourage a measure that financially is within the reach of a fair number of householders (hell, I discovered the other day that I'm in the bottom 10% earning bracket nationwide) and isn't just good for the environment but quite simply makes places look nicer. Building regs and planning waivers. Not rocket science.

No comments:

Post a Comment