But sometimes a certain grim humour can be found in it. Firstly I have to spread the word on one of the genius Marc Roberts' latest cartoons, the script of which was written by my lovely husband from a Copenhagen fantasy I'd had of the members of some of the most evil delegations - USA, Saudi Arabia etc - being eaten alive, very slowly and painfully from the feet up, by the polar bears who are being so painfully wiped out by the impacts of climate change. The cartoon is here.
The second dark little chuckle I've had this morning is at the eejits in, presumably, a) the PR agency hired by cheap flight website Nowfly, and b) Nowfly's own PR department which presumably passed its latest press release. It's headed "A Restive Festive," which is presumably meant to mean 'restful' and somebody thinks they've been terribly clever using the rhyming word instead. Unfortunately 'restive' actually means:
1. impatient of control, restraint, or delay, as persons; restless; uneasy.
2. refractory; stubborn.
3. refusing to go forward; balky: a restive horse.
and, as Dictionary.com continues, derives not from the same verbs as words like rest and restful, but from the Middle English restif meaning "stationary, balking" or the Old French for 'inert.' Which I guess is how many people do end up spending Christmas, but not in the way the advertising wonks intended...
No comments:
Post a Comment