I know that on one level I'm scared that the right wing in its many guises is so powerful. But on another, it's a source of eternal mystification and amusement that some of them are so plain barking.
Take 'Eddie,' author of an article called 'Destructive Environmentalists' on Bloggerbase, yet another we'll-make-your-rantings-world-famous writing platform. Now, I know that the Daily Mail article OA & I were interviewed for a good couple of years ago bore about as much relation to reality as Katie Price's mammaries, but at least it managed to get right which of us has been... err... snipped. But good ol' boy Eddie (who cites 'conservatives' who think the Sierra Club is 'extremist'... jeez... and then perpetrates the usual tedious-but-unfortunately-widely-believed climate denialist waffle) apparently can't scan a tabloid article and even come out with its version of events. To whit, this: "Sarah Irving, from Ethical Consumer magazine, who sterilised herself..."
Wow. I sterilised myself? Without noticing? Cool. Wonder how I pulled that one off. DIY pain-free operations - I must patent this invention. Could be worth gazillions. And poor OA, not getting credit for HIS snip.
Second version of this is even more odd. Now I, despite obviously being a terrorist sympathising dangerous unwomanly unnatural extremist etc etc, can grasp why a lot of people around the world are less than chuffed with one Leila Khaled, even if I find her interesting enough to write a book about. I also know that there are a lot of misconceptions and exaggerations about her dotted about the web. But this article on the Northeast Intelligence (ahem) Network's (NIN) website is a real odd 'un. It states: "Palestinian terrorist Leila Khaled, who murdered 24 year-old US Navy diver Robert Stethem in an airplane hijacking in Beirut in 1970."
Now, I spotted this and started to worry that maybe there was some big chunk of LK's life story I'd missed out on completely, which would be mildly embarrassing. But no, it's Douglas J. Hagmann, Director of NIN, who needs to be hiding his blushes.
An organisation which claims to be 'INVESTIGATING THREATS TO OUR HOMELAND' would, you think, at least get its martyrs straight. Because "24 year-old US Navy diver Robert Stethem" was actually on vac from his US Navy underwater construction team in 1985 (yep, 15 years after Leila Khaled's hijackings) when he was on a plane hijacked by Hizbollah (no, not Khaled's PFLP) and killed and dumped on the tarmac at Beirut airport when the hijackers' demands for the release of Lebanese and Palestinian prisoners in Israel was not met.
As usual, Hagmann's article also conflates Islamism and parts of the Palestinian resistance which 25 years ago American rightists would have been squealing about as part of a global Communist threat rather than a religious one. 25 years ago, of course, the US authorities were busy bankrolling Islamic militants like one Osama Bin Laden, as well as supporting Israel in its tolerance of Palestinian Islamic groups like Hamas (because in the late 80s Israel preferred the likes of Hamas to the likes of the PFLP, and the US broadly agreed).
Hagmann also goes on to make various truly bizarre claims about shadowy, dangerous links between completely above-ground organisations - for instance claiming that Al-Awda (an organisation which campaigns and educates on the right to return for Palestinian refugees) "is one part of a larger network known as the International Solidarity Movement." Errr, that would be the International Solidarity Movement that is a human rights observation and intervention organisation in the West Bank (plus some supporters overseas)? They may over the years have crossovers of personnel, be related in their aims, have similar viewpoints on many issues - but they have very different focuses and activities, and one is certainly not "part of" another. NIN claims to be "veteran, licensed professional investigators, analysts, military affairs specialists and researchers," which is really quite funny if they're happy to put this level of 'research' into the public domain. And this loon Hagmann also manages to drag in Obama, Kucinich and the revolting George Galloway as part of a giant anti-Zionist conspiracy. If only.
Thursday, March 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment